Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Kylie Continued...

So my little girly girl is growing up WAY TOO FAST for me! She's now taking gymnastics (turns out she's much more coordinated than I thought she would be...don't get me wrong, my expectations were low, so we'll just go with saying we haven't broken any bones yet...knock on wood) Yesterday, she came home from school with an instruction sheet. It appears that my daughter, MY DAUGHTER, the one who just years ago was so shy she'd rather play by herself than someone she didn't know, has a speaking part in this years Christmas Program at her Preschool, to be performed in front of hundreds of people on a stage, with a microphone. Now, many of you guys know me well enough to know that I automatically start worrying....what if she's the only one that chickens out...what if she won't even go up on stage...you know the drill. But part of me is so excited that she's so excited. So...starting last night, we started reading the script and talking about her line, and we'll do this for a couple weeks or so until she's ready to start memorizing her part. Anyways, the program is Dec. 7th and I can't wait to see how it goes! I just need to remember that she's only 4 and she'll do what she's going to do regardless...and I have faith in the fact that she's gotten on stage and sang/danced for the last two past programs, so let's see if we can make it three!

Moving on to more exciting news...A couple months ago I attempted to start the reading process with Ky, only to find out, after much frustration, that she wasn't really ready. Well, a couple weeks ago (3 to be exact) we picked it back up to try again. I believe she was finally bored of the fact that she learned how to write all her letters and this was no longer as cool as it use to be...I think she was ready for something new. Anyways..I thought a goal would help so I told her that if she mastered her first two sets of cards, that she could go pick out a toy. Now, I was thinking that this would take at least a month. Well, two weeks later, she buzzed right through the cards without making a single mistake and I realized that she obviously is ready! So, we went to Target where she picked out more polly pocket stuff to play with, added in a new set of cards, and made the next goal even tougher. We work on these cards every night before we read...and now that we've added the Christmas program script, our bedtime routine is quite extensive...but I think she loves it! So far she's mastered the 'at' words, such as: mat, pat, rat, etc. the 'an' words, such as: pan, man, dan, etc. and we're working on the 'ap' words, such as: map, rap, tap, etc. In total, she knows 25 words plus some simple sight words...And she does amazingly well when I mix them all together, as we have been for the last couple weeks.

One more story, that I'm sure means more to me, than it will to any of you. This past weekend I took Kylie out for a mommy daughter shopping trip. She needed clothes for the fall and I thought it would be so much fun for the two of us to go together! We came home two hours later, I was exhausted, and reminded of exactly how much Ky is like her daddy. I miss the days where she was so little she'd wear anything I picked out. I miss the days where she thought what I thought was cute, was cute also. This girl has an opinion and a half and she's not afraid to use it. She knew exactly what she wanted (much of it not really cute in my opinion) and after I tried to talk her into a couple outfits I noticed the look on her face that said, 'sure, you can buy it for me, but you can't make me wear it.' Once again, I looked at my life with her ten years from now and it made me shudder in fear.

Anyways, that's about it. I'm just proud of my little booger in so many ways!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brooke,

    Parenting is such a myriad of emotions isn't it? Sounds like you have a lot of excitment at your house right now. Remember, Kylie may have a strong will, but the LORD gave it to her for a reason and will use it for His glory. Our job as parents is to train their hearts to follow Him so they use that strong character for Him.

    Thought you might be interested in the reading curriculum I've used with all our four with great success - Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. You can pick up a copy for around $25. Super easy to use and all my kids are awesome readers.

    Blessings,

    Angela

    ReplyDelete