So there are numerous reasons for my guilt this time around, but I'll start with the worst one.
A little over two weeks ago Beck cracked his head off the VERY sharp corner point of the footboard on our bed. I had just thrown the comforter on the floor and was working on getting the sheets off the bed to be washed, when Kylie came jumping in. It only took seconds for Beck to follow. I guess he didn't realize the part of the comforter that was sticking up was covering the edge of our bed. He jumped right in, head first, pushing the comforter down and cracking his forehead on the point. It only took me two seconds to pick him up, but by the time I did, it was already the size of a golf ball. I have always heard that if head injuries swell out that it is a good thing. Even still, I called the pediatrician who asked a few questions, and said it seemed like he would be ok. It took the bruising about 2 weeks to heal, and then the concern started.
I realized that part of his forehead was actually indented and if you ran your finger across his head you could feel that there was a deep 'dimple' so to speak, right where he fell. I started to freak out, thinking that my son was going to permanently be scarred with this huge dent in the middle of his head, and more importantly, that there was damage that I didn't address when it actually happened. We took him in to get checked out and the doc reassured me that it wasn't actually a fractured skull like I thought. He said that what he did was essentially obliterate the fat cells that most people have between their skull and skin. LUCKILY, children have more than adults, and reproduce them until they reach a certain age. He said the dent SHOULD heal, although it might take years. I'd rather have heard something like WILL heal, instead of SHOULD, but right now I'll take what I can get. At the end of the day, I'm just glad that he won't have to walk around with a helmet strapped to his head (which is seriously the first picture that came into my mind).
Now, on to #2. I didn't realize until we made it back from vacation that Stratton hit his 1/2 birthday while we were there. When Beck hit this milestone, we stopped at annie's bakery for cupcakes, and we actually sang 'happy half birthday to you'. Stratton...not so much. Poor boy spent it baking in the sun and dealing with a runny nose, while his horrible mom didn't so much as remember he was turning 6 mo. And I wish I could give you his stats, but J left them, along with the box of wipes, at the doc's since he was dealing with both Stratton and Beck. I'm not sure if its because life is so busy, or simply because he's #3, but I'd be lying if I didn't say Stratton has gotten the short end of the stick around here. Just today I was on the floor playing with Ky and Beck while J cooked dinner. At one point he reminded me that our other son was just propped in the corner of our couch sitting there all lonely with not even a toy to chew on. I had honestly forgotten....how sad is that?
Alright, well I think that's enough confessions for one evening. I've included a couple pictures of Ky from her first week at school. All in all, it turned out alright. She was tired, and a bit bored. I think she thought she'd walk through those doors and start absorbing new info. I guess I should have prepared for her for the hours spend learning how to stand in line, and raise your hand (all of which she already knows). She was, however, able to keep her clip on green all week (which is great!) and because of that she was able to pick something out of her teacher's treasure box at the end of the week. I'm hoping things will start to pick up for her and that this coming week is a little easier for all of us!
This girl would wear skirts everyday if I let her...
I can never get Beck to sit still to take his picture, go figure he wouldn't leave so I could get a solo shot of ky. If you look closely, you can see the dimple on his head.
Just because sleeping pics make me laugh. Notice he's no longer swaddled. That's because he finally started rolling over while on vacation. MANY times he'll get himself in the strangest positions...his butt up against the corner of the pack n play with his feet straight in the air. We're still working on getting use to this rolling thing. Stratton has NEVER been a fan of sleeping on his tummy, even when he was very little.






No comments:
Post a Comment