Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thoughts on three kids...

Jason and I were reminiscing the other day about how far our parenting skills have progressed, or should I say become more laid back, as we've added more kids into the mix. When pregnant with Stratton I came across an article that I think of every so often. It went through a series of scenarios that at the time just made me laugh, but looking back, I believe truer words have never been spoken. With no luck trying to locate the article again, I've decided to recreate it with my own experiences in mind.

Clothing

1 kid: Shirt matches skirt, which goes perfectly with the tights, patent leather shoes, and pink headband. What? She doesn't have a jacket to match? we'll stop at the store on the way....

2 kids: They're dressed and free of stains, put their shoes on and load em in the car!

3 kids: does he really need shorts on? I'm sure he's fine running around the park barefoot in a diaper. Is that snot smeared across his shirt too? well, can't win them all!

Food

1 kid: Do NOT eat that off the floor, we have to throw it away! No you can't have juice, you've already had your one cup week's ration.

2 kids: Here, eat this sucker and have this icee so I can finish grocery shopping. Tomorrow, we'll detox you. wait, tomorrow is the birthday party, oh well, there's always the next day...

3 kids: Is that dog food he's chewing on? hmm...i'm sure he's eaten worse. here... hand him this nerf ball to play with, nevermind the big hole that's missing, he took a bite out of it yesterday while I was busy changing #2's diaper. Yeah, he swallowed it, but its soft, I'll be seeing it again tomorrow I'm sure.

Nap Time

1 kid: No, I can't attend the play date I have to be home so the baby can nap at 11 o'clock sharp!

2 kids: Sure I'll come, can I bring the pack in play over to throw my kid in it at your house?

3 kids: play date here we come! If the baby gets tired, he'll go till he crashes in the middle of the living room with his hands still wrapped around a toy.

Safety

1 kid: Oh my! We must take her to care now immediately, her nose is running and she seems a little warm.

2 kids: Just watch him and if he isn't better by friday we'll take him in to the ped's office to avoid a trip to care now over the busy weekend.

3 kids: (and this was the conversation that took place to prompt the discussion)
me: stratton fell off the couch today
Jason: what do you mean he fell off the couch?
me: he was sitting their one minute then he just rolled off.
Jason: well what were you doing?
me: (short pause) I just wasn't paying attention. He's fine, he only cried for a couple minutes...

...and the list could go on, or at least mine could. Its funny, I know my kids aren't that old and I don't have THAT many, but I look at first time parents and feel like quite the veteran.

Kids really are more resilient than you think, but its a lesson that takes time to learn....

1 comment:

  1. I laughed the whole way through this. Mainly because I am a first time parent and my sister is a parent of 4. The last time we were there both of our boys were sick. I asked if she was going to take hers to the doctor and she gave me a really funny look and said no, as I was planning an appointment to get Miles in as soon as we got back. I know I will be different with the next one... but he is my first. I can't help it.
    Glad Stratton is ok after his fall. :)

    ReplyDelete