Friday, June 25, 2010

Summer time...




Summer has been flying by so quickly that I just recently realized that Beck's 8 mo. came and went and I never noticed. Without the milestone of a doctor's visit (he doesn't go until he hits 9 mo) I totally forgot about it. So, let me take this opportunity to update on what he's been up to. He's still not crawling, although I'm still not complaining. At the rate that this boy shovels things into his mouth, I'm dreading the day he becomes mobile. Just last week I intervened as he was trying to put a barbie bracelet (tiny little thing) into his mouth to investigate. FUN! He has started clapping, which he does non-stop, and has totally LOST the ability to say mama, which has been replaced with a never ending slew of dada's (not gonna lie, a little frustrating for me =)). I believe he has finally started to grow again, as evidenced by his clothes not fitting (yeah, the ones he's been wearing for the last 4 months).

We had his eye probed in an attempt to fix his tear duct. It was a standard procedure which took all of a minute and was done in the office. Turns out, Beck is one of those rare cases they see every couple yrs where his anatomy (some darn bone in his nose) makes it impossible to probe. With that in mind, the next move is surgery...BOO! But I tell you (and I don't want to get my hopes up) but the strangest thing happened. His eye has been completely clear for the last seven days (previously, he's never gone longer than MAYBE a day) and I'm not putting any drops or anything in it. The chance that it magically opened and fixed itself is slim to none, but something in me is holding out hope that this is the case. For now, we'll wait...as long as the eye is clear, no need to put him under and pay thousands (we'll postpone that as long as possible). And everyday I say a prayer that God heard my prayers and fixed this beautiful baby boy w/out giving his mommy and daddy MANY gray hairs during surgery.

With that in mind, enter a new eye problem. Part of me is excited that Beck's eye is doing so well, but that fear and worry has only been transfered from one child to the other. Lately we've been seeing Ky's eyes do this strange thing every once in a while where they won't completely line up. Welcome...strabismus, more commonly known as lazy eye. It doesn't happen often (i've seen it maybe 10 times ever) But its still enough to freak you out. If the problem isn't severe, they'll usually just patch the good eye for a while and let the weaker eye strengthen the muscles behind it. If severe, or gone undealt with, it can lead to surgery, glasses, and/or eventually blindness. We're hoping to get in a doc. apt. next week sometime. So like I said, one worry being replaced by another for the time being. You know what they say, when it rains, it pours. And Jason and I both feel like we're being tested right now, but that's alright, we gotchya Lord, and we're with ya all the way.

Other than the recent eye issue, Kylie has been having a wonderful summer full of swimming, playing with her cousin, and enjoying her two days a week at school. She loves entertaining Beck when she's home and practicing her writing. She's writing her first book this summer! (Its how I'm going to get her to practice her letters when she's not at school everyday) and so far she's LOVING it! She comes up with the ideas and I just spell it all out for her. She's also practicing her numbers by writing page numbers, and she really enjoys doing the illustration part. So far she has 10 pages! I'm sure I'll snap some shots when she does her cover page and finishes.

This week I celebrated my 29th birthday with my family who came over w/ pizza and a cake. I've heard of women (and sometimes men) having a problem with growing old. I'm not one of them. I don't in the least feel like I'm wasting my time away, quite the opposite in fact since I've started staying home. Wrinkles mean past smiles so I welcome them with open arms. You're only as old as you let yourself feel, and sometimes I get just as much enjoyment playing w/ the kids as they get themselves.

Here are a couple random pics...

No comments:

Post a Comment