Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Happy Birthday Jason!

Is there a sweeter way to celebrate your 30th birthday than having to kill the one creature you're most deathly afraid of? Probably, but such is life for my hubby. Many people in our neighborhood have talked of a crazy snake slithering about, including our next door neighbors. Jason even saw it slither past him while taking the trash out a couple weeks ago. Over the weekend, I got the 'lovely' opportunity to meet him face to face. I was on one of our front porch chairs watering our hanging basket when a strange sound caused me to look down. What do I see? This 3 foot snake coiled around the leg of the other chair not even a foot away from me. It unwrapped itself and slithered into a nearby bush while I ran into the house yelling for Jason to grab a shovel. An hour later, and we have him pinned behind one of the pots on the front porch, but the sucker wouldn't die. It kept lashing out at Jason with his mouth wide open. Now, I love my husband, but it is clear that snakes aren't really his 'thing.' We finally ended up killing it and later got confirmation that it is a large rat snake. Which I guess isn't surprising, from time to time you'll see rats who live in the holes in the retaining wall in the backyard. We also have a bunny nest back there, and there were baby birds who had just hatched in the hanging basket I was watering, which is what I think he was trying to get at. But anyways, I was proud of my hubs that he finally did the deed, even though it took about an hr =). Here are a couple pics I snapped after the fact. Jason ended up taking the head off. You can see it laying in the background. Even the pictures still give me goosebumps. But I knew for sure I was never going to work in the yard again until that thing was gone. Thank goodness Kiki wasn't out when I saw it, or I wouldn't be surprised if that snake had tried to get her!



No comments:

Post a Comment