Tuesday, December 6, 2011

MUST HAVE toys...

With all the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season upon us, a good friend asked what toys my kids have used the most over the last few years. I know the list is different for every family, but I've learned there are just a few things I know the Alcorn clan could not do without:

-trampoline: My kids live on it regardless of the weather. In fact, the times they enjoy it the most is when its wet (because they can slide around) or covered in fall leaves (because they love to get dirty) Luckily we've had no bad injuries yet, and hoping it stays that way!

-sandbox: inexpensive and well worth the mess as long as you keep it covered when not in use. Ky loves to use the buckets and shovels to ''explore'' the backyard and Beck loves to move sand in and out of the dump truck.

-sidewalk chalk: whether it is me drawing cars or Ky creating a town, we have multiple pails and they are permanently placed on the front porch and in the strollers. My favorite is when I run into neighbors and they comment "oh, we saw beck was at the park this week, as evidenced by the road and trucks drawn all over the place''

-foam bath letters and numbers: they can get gross pretty quick if you don't put them away after every use, but at the cheap price, who cares...nothing like learning colors, number, letters, spelling, and phonics sounds while having fun in the tub.

-Easel: Kylie received one for Christmas three years ago, and both her and Beck still use it regularly. Having an accessible place for kids to practice their writing skills while playing school or restaurant is wonderful!

-play kitchen: I'm surprised ours is still standing after all the abuse the kids have given it over the years. What a great way to learn vocabulary and work on hand eye coordination. (and the fact that there's multiple drawers and cubbies to store more toys in is an added bonus)

-playdough: I can't stand it. It is smashed into my floors and carpets in almost every room. And I couldn't even guess how much my children have attempted to ingest over the years. But the possibilities are endless as you can use it as a teaching tool for just about anything. As much as it drives me crazy, it has also saved my sanity on many rainy days and I couldn't live without it.

-Library and Park. Yeah, I know, these aren't really things, but rather some fantastic places that I could not live without. Books and fresh air are a mom's secret weapon, and with both, children everywhere smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment