A bit late in my class follow up blog this week. J's been traveling and I spent most of the day yesterday flying solo with Beck while we drove around town from dentist to dentist after he cracked half his front tooth off on our wood floors yesterday morning. Such is life with kiddos!
Anyways, this past Saturday we spent a good deal of time critiquing photos each of the 30 of us brought in. Although it was wonderful to see others work, and more wonderful to hear others critiques of the works (its amazing what people notice that you don't) the class was a little short on new knowledge. We discussed depth of field which was already addressed in our previous aperture class as well as ISO which is pretty much common sense once you know what it actually is (it controls how sensitive your sensor is to light). If you're shooting indoors/low light, start around 800 ISO which will allow you more wiggle room to play with aperture and shutter speed even with the restricted light. However, keep in mind that the higher the iso the more noise, or grain, will be in your shot. I've come to realize that much of the time I like a little grain. When shooting outdoors or in good natural light, start at an ISO of 100, or 200 (pretty much as low as your camera will go). We were suppose to address white balance, something I'm interested in as I've struggled with it ever since switching away from auto, but we ran short on time.
Sadly, I have yet to figure out what pictures I'm going to bring in for the next class. The assignment is to bring in one shot, iso 100, that is taken outdoors or in good lighting. and one shot that is at iso 800 indoors and poor lighting. I've been shooting all week, I feel like my camera is never more than two steps away from me now, but I've yet to find anything i'm really excited about. I think much of it has to do with the fact that I'd much rather shoot in good light simply because the pictures are better quality I think. And very few of the indoor shots are completely free of computer touch ups whether it be in exposure or saturation or contrast.
Here's some of the randomness I've shot this week thus far. Hopefully tomorrow will bring with it a little bit of inspiration. An outside shot is hard to find when its too chilly to drag the kids along for the ride....or when one of them is loopy on valium. =)
This boy loves his cars...
The light coming in from the living room windows is miserable here...and the shot is a bit dark for me.



The beginning of Ky's class Valentines for their exchange during their class party. These guys are pretty cute. Ky's working on tags for them now...another post to come once they're finished.
There's not much better than snapping a shot that really captures a child's personality. This one most certainly does that...

Strat and Beck entranced in watching bubble guppies. newie is really starting to become a fan of the t.v.
Playing with focus and depth of field. Similar shot as above but focusing on Beck.
I know she takes my breath away, but I'm a bit biased =)
This boy has such a goofy look about him...
Playing with the lens cap, and mom's cell phone, maybe this is how I happened to call (and get charged) for so many 411 calls last month...
Taking a short break on mom's lap...he really wanted to play with the camera....









No comments:
Post a Comment