Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Having a perfectionist as a daughter...

Alright, so I'm going to begin this post by stating that I think my daughter is amazing. Now, with that being said, she's driving me crazy!

One of Kylie's strengths, self awareness, is also one of her biggest challenges when it comes to learning something new. She's all for it if she knows she can do it successfully, but throw out a new concept and she wants no part of it. A big part of learning how to write and spell is sounding out words and pushing through what you know about how letters work together, and what you still have to learn. This girl is struggling so much with the idea of transitioning from Mom telling her how everything is spelled, to her working through it on her own. There is something so terrifying about the uncertainty of correctness in her mind that almost sends her hyperventilating.

This evening, we were battling back and forth while she was trying to write a note to J. The realization that she just spelled "us" as "s" sent her into a downward spiral of unconsolable crying. After being denied another clean sheet of paper (in my opinion, she needs to learn how to solve a problem as oppose to wasting materials...she was writing in marker) she quit. Now, the day was done (as were all three of my children) and it was time for bed. But as I kissed her goodnight, I couldn't help but feel that I might have done the wrong thing.

Quitting should never be an option, or at least, not one we quickly come to. Next time, I vow to teach perseverance in a way I failed to tonight.

Parenting is a learning process, and sometimes we walk away knowing we could have done better.

So here's to tomorrow, and to our new motto: It is okay to not know, but it is not okay to stop trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment