Here are the images I ended up bringing to class this past weekend! It was a rough week of picture taking, I think I'm a bit burnt out. All I did was shoot and I liked very little of what I saw....
Below is a night shot of a bell at a local church. The picture was taken at 7:15 at night, so all dark minus the glow of the church lights behind me. The aperture was f/4.5 and the shutter speed was 30" so of course it was on a tripod. The idea was to show how auto white balance isn't always true to color. The first picture is with a white balance of Incandescent, which is accurate since the lights behind were very yellow. If you look close enough you can see that the light on the bell is more white, or more true to color in the first shot.
The following one if auto white balance, you can see how the entire shot takes on a more yellowish tent, even the sky. Goes to show how manual is oftentimes more successful than auto.
Here is the shot I brought in to show the skills I've learned so far. The shot was taken very early in the morning, so I manually set my white balance, iso (200) shutter speed (13") and aperture (5.6) so I could capture the idea of motion in the ballerina on top of the jewelry box. I was also focusing on composition, filling the dead space to the right with something to balance out the shot, and blurred the background just a little so you can see what the focus should be. The shot isn't the least bit interesting to me, but it shows what I've learned.
Here are the other shots that didn't make the cut when it came to night shooting...
Here is a close up of a nearby fountain. I love the colors and motion of the water, but it was too up close...
Picture below was too busy...
Entire Fountain, but I couldn't find an angle that didn't have a busy background...
Again, shot is too busy...




I love the busy picture or maybe its the reflection in the pond that gives me a sense of calmness that I love about the night atmosphere.
ReplyDeleteFunny you have to find a picture of "ideal". I was taking a few pics of the kiddos the other day playing(with my amateur camera) and I caught a picture of Jordan "playing" with Julia and it was a perfect picture of ideal to me because most of the time she is destroying his toys and stealing everything to put in her mouth of course. The fact that despite their age and gender they could actually play together was amazing to me.
I love the fountain pictures! I really like all of the pictures. I am so impressed with what you have learned. I wish I knew my camera better and what all it can do.
ReplyDelete